Koster Koster
Thu Jan 2 17:36:45 CET 2003

From: Marc Fielding
> [Rayzam]

>> I'm sure this is a testable hypothesis, if someone has access to
>> the data. Take a MMORPG and track the average # of
>> characters/account over time.  Also track the time to reach the
>> median # of characters/account as the game matures.  It would be
>> an interesting study, not from a marketing standpoint, and not
>> mainly from a social standpoint, but from a developer standpoint.
>> Quantify one aspect of a game's evolution, anyone?

> Good suggestion.

> To make the test valid, the analysis should seek to find the
> number of characters per account within a certain level range of
> the account's highest-leveled character. Those below that range
> are most likely "toy" characters, not mules.

I am not following your definition of "mule" here but suspect it is
too narrow. For example, rank newb characters used solely for
storage are one of the most popular uses of mules. I suppose you
could also exclude secondary characters with empty inventories, or
exclude secondary characters from the mule count if the character
determined to be primary has ample storage space still available...

-Raph