[MUD-Dev] The changing nature of fun

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Jan 1 07:01:32 CET 2003

From: "Brian Hook" <brianhook at pyrogon.com>

> Minor changes that fix something obviously broken may end up
> breaking lots of things that previously were not broken, and these
> effects are often second or third order and hard to predict
> initially.

Strong agreement here. I once "fixed" the to-hit and damage system
in AD&D.  It ended up being an almost-complete rewrite of the entire
PH and DMG. I thought the resulting system was better, but it was
nearly impossible to convince people to learn it... so I went back
to using the stock rules.  Broken or not, players understood them.