[MUD-Dev] Perl - SOAP/XML - Slow?

Stephane Boisjoli ratatosk at rogers.com
Sun Feb 23 09:18:12 CET 2003

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: Tom Sullivan [mailto:one4k4 at yahoo.com]

>> My question is twofold.  Has anybody seen a MUD written to use
>> AIM as a text based client?  And has anybody seen a MUD that uses
>> SOAP as it's only communications layer?

> I really like that idea, and I haven't seen it before.

I use the ICQ client ... plus I allow logging in from SMS.  But it
has a major issue - ICQ cuts you off after a certain amount of SMS
messages. Know any other SMS providers?...

The SMS was not intended for real-time combat, more for just
chatting and checking what is happening..

>> The "slow" part comes from message transfer, imho.  And, I
>> actually rewrote the AIM bot to use pure OOP and not SOAP as
>> they're on the same box anyway.  But the SOAP layer is still
>> there for say, a flash front end...

>> Every client needs to continously "poll" the server by sending an
>> envelope every $x number of seconds to get any messages for that
>> client.

>> Security concerns aside, this method is kind of slow, which is
>> the single downside I can see with using SOAP.

>> Any thoughts?  Am I crazy?

What is SOAP, anyway?

Polling is obviously going to slow you down.. Useless traffic, and
the client only gets replies at specific (slow?) intervals..