[MUD-Dev] MMORPG/MMOG P2P design

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Feb 23 01:09:32 CET 2003

"Crosbie Fitch" <crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org> wrote, on P2P games:

> You measure 'trustability' in the same way that humans do with the
> people they deal with, i.e. you keep records of how reliable
> certain PCs have been in the time you've known them. The longer
> they've been reliable the more you can trust them. Moreover, there
> must be a benefit to being trusted (a non-malicious benefit),
> i.e. improved simulation quality. Someone breaks that
> trust... goodbye. Some damage possibly, but we'll get over it.

How would you actually handle trust?  I've checked out your web
page, but you do no more than posit that such a trust system, once
it exists, can solve all your problems.  Particularly, how do you
handle the following problems:

  1) a newbie player, previously unknown to everyone, connects to
  the P2P game and starts playing.

  2) a hacker, who may or may not have first built up trust running
  automated tasks that follow the rules (perhaps on other nodes),
  does everything to cheat on your node, perhaps moving his ill-
  gotten gains to an unknown other identity, and starts over with a
  new identity as soon as he is evicted.  Et cetera.

  3) a hacker does everything he can to get <your> node evicted from
  the P2P game.

Regards,
Felix Croes