[MUD-Dev] Perl - SOAP/XML - Slow?

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Feb 21 14:45:10 CET 2003

From: Tom Sullivan [mailto:one4k4 at yahoo.com]

> My question is twofold.  Has anybody seen a MUD written to use AIM
> as a text based client?  And has anybody seen a MUD that uses SOAP
> as it's only communications layer?

I really like that idea, and I haven't seen it before.

> The "slow" part comes from message transfer, imho.  And, I
> actually rewrote the AIM bot to use pure OOP and not SOAP as
> they're on the same box anyway.  But the SOAP layer is still there
> for say, a flash front end...

> Every client needs to continously "poll" the server by sending an
> envelope every $x number of seconds to get any messages for that
> client.

> Security concerns aside, this method is kind of slow, which is the
> single downside I can see with using SOAP.

> Any thoughts?  Am I crazy?

Nah I really like it, and when people say SOAP is slow, they aren't
thinking in terms of something like a MUD where I don't think the
speed will be an issue at all. Even on a fairly crappy PC I'd expect
your system to be able to handle multiple thousand invocations a
second.

Dan