[MUD-Dev] MMORPG/MMOG Server design

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Thu Feb 20 09:36:06 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 05:12, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2003 09:24:56 -0500
> Edward Glowacki <glowack2 at msu.edu> wrote:

>>     - A good multi-processor server can be much more expensive
>>     than a few smaller servers.

> For x86 the sweet spot is 2-way SMP.  4-way is far more than twice
> again as expensive (and has a very small vendor list).  2-way is
> commodity off-the-shelf hardware.

Considering the original author's post of running the entire setup
of a MMORPG on one machine, I was thinking "good multi-processor
server" as 4-way, 8-way, 30-way, n-way, probably stuck on Sun
hardware because there aren't many other viable options at that
level.  You know, something the size of a small (medium or large)
refridgerator. =) By "smaller servers" I was actually thinking
things like the 1U or 2U Dell rackmount systems (1650's or 2650's,
respectively) that both support dual processors.  I really like
those Dell systems, we have quite a number of them in production use
here, and if I were going to build a group of servers, I'd probably
start planning with them in mind as the server platform.

-ED

--
Edward Glowacki <glowack2 at msu.edu>