[MUD-Dev] A new game paradigm (was: Star Wars Galaxies)

Scott Miller - Intelligent Life Games up at intelgames.com
Sun Feb 16 17:24:30 CET 2003

From: Marian Griffith
> On Wed 12 Feb, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
>> From: "Marian Griffith" <gryphon at iaehv.nl>
>>> On Tue 04 Feb, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

>> No, it isn't. Remember, we're not talking about "why do we have
>> levels", we're talking about "why do characters start at such an
>> inadequate level".  Obviously, you start somewhere, and that
>> somewhere is suited to some particular sort of
>> play. Unfortunately, we are all too often starting people at a
>> level of ability that isn't suited to much of anything, because
>> that's where we've always started them. I cannot think of any
>> legitimate reason to keep doing it. Is there such a reason?

> Yes, but not a very valid one. Tradition never is. The other being
> that the ability curve is so skewed and out of balance that each
> character really starts out with the relative power of an amoeba,
> yet ends up with god-like abilities. No matter where you start you
> always keep this problem that the low end is meaningless compared
> to the high end.  There are several solutions but the weight of
> tradition is working against those. Linear increase of power would
> go a long way and so would realistic abilities of characters
> (i.e. a player attacked by two opponents is almost certain to
> lose).  Others would be automa- tic scaling of opponent's
> abilities to that of the player or group opposing
> them. I.e. powerful players would face groups of less po- werful
> monsters, and so would groups of players.  Moving the focus away
> from combat would also work, but all these potential solutions
> would radically alter the game and alienate a significant portion
> of the players.  The same reason why it is al- most impossible to
> get rid of humans/elf/dwarfs and warrior/cleric mage/thief from
> muds.  Players already know about them and do not want to have to
> figure out how the game differs from the ones they are already
> familiar with.

Being that I am new to this list I feel that I am talking out of my
ass on this reply, but here it goes.

While I understand the need for a "progression" through a game, I do
agree that "leveling" is not the way to do it. What is stopping a
game from completely removing leveling all together and use a little
of the EQ model, where your equipment is your progression indicator?
I know that isn't a perfect solution, but is much better than
forcing everyone of your players to go out and bash bunnies for
hours on end. It could also cater to your non fighting players who
enjoy crafting better.

Scott Miller
Marketing and PR Manager
Intelligent Life Games