[MUD-Dev] Working with Franchises (was Star Wars Galaxies: 1 char per server)

Damion Schubert damion at zenofdesign.com
Thu Feb 6 01:02:08 CET 2003

From: Dave Rickey

> As near as I can tell, we don't.  I don't know what happened to EQ
> when we launched, but I've been told that EQ barely caused a
> ripple for UO, and I've seen first hand that AC2 and TSO didn't
> even touch us.

UO profited from EQ's launch, oddly enough, and EQ grew when AC went
live.  While neither was a huge leap, a bulge is there.  I attribute
both experiences to the 'this sucks factor'.  A player new to
mudding logs into a game, meets an old UO fan who says, "This sucks.
You should come back to -my- game with me."

That being said, it may just be that there's a fair amount of
overlap- people don't cancel their UO accounts immediately upon
trying EQ.  They wait a while, since who knows when that disastrous
EQ thing they hate will spring up.  Before long, they've decided to
support both games (or perhaps even forgotten the first is still
charging their credit cards).

--d