Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Feb 4 09:30:22 CET 2003

From: tomi.sarvela at iki.fi [mailto:tomi.sarvela at iki.fi]

> Starting from the basic assumption that characters world view is
> limited (player can't see all content and experience everything
> within his choices, and gamemasters can't generate new content as
> fast as explorers consume it), there is reason for MCS to
> exist. Is it good enough reason, I don't know, but lets stick to
> it for now: can you see any immediate abuse issues with this kind
> of shared storage approach?

Not an abuse issue, but assuming most games try to limit character
vaults to a smallish size, this mechanic will probably mean that the
amount of hoarding goes up. This is because you couldn't make a
shared vault as small as a per instance one (without being
unreasonable), thus even people playing with just a single character
will benefit from the enlarged vault and their consumption of
storage will rise.

I quite like it though, and it would tie in nicely to a unique
surname mechanic where your group of characters is a family. You
could then direct tells by surname and know it was the same
player. Whilst this wouldn't allow players the level of anonymity
they might enjoy now with standard MCS, it would allow the
exploration of wildly different character and role play personality
types.

Dan