[MUD-Dev] Thought Experiment: Permanent Monster Death

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Thu Dec 18 07:38:07 CET 2003

From: "Sean Middleditch" <elanthis at awesomeplay.com>

> The idea of letting the game world automate itself for the whole
> player base is what stinks so much about most MMORPGS, and makes
> them so incredibly boring and repetitive - the GMs need to work to
> make the game run.  As is now, most games simply have GMs for
> rules-lawyering (because rules aren't hard-coded into the game)
> and a player help-desk.  If GMs act more like they would in a
> table-top game, they'd be capable of managing much more dynamic
> and interesting worlds, such as having the mini-plot monster
> groups we're talking about here.

To go off on another tangent - It always annoyed me that the GM's
were used for customer support, even in larger MMOG's.

They are Game Masters dangit, they should run events for the
players, or help developer test new areas and so forth. They should
be working a storyline and make the virtual world progress. Make
someone else with CS flag over their heads do the support thing.

I guess this whole deal about GM's not acting like GM's stems from
early years of text MUDs where there was only very few people in
charge of their MUD, so they had to handle several positions at the
same time.

Now it seems to be expected that GM's are CS.  Sorry for the mini
rant .. but ... but ....bleargh !

---
Jens L. Nielsen
(aka. Sheela Caur'Lir)