[MUD-Dev] Utopian World (Removing access to entertainment)

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Fri Dec 12 13:56:18 CET 2003

From: "Corpheous Andrakin" <corpheous at yahoo.com>

> In your ideal world without "barriers" to entertainment (that also
> act as challenges to other people) what kind of world would you
> propose in order to make it attractive to all types of players as
> most developers at least attempt to do nowadays?

Given perfect technology and unlimited funding, I'd create a game
where the players would have the challenge of creating the world.

Obviously, some of it would be made already, but by and large I'd
like to see a virtual world formed by the players and not the
developers. Offcourse, such tools would be hellishly hard to make so
the average gamer could use them with ease.

> How would you attract the socializer and the achiever and the
> killer and the explorer all at the same time and give them all
> access to a game that let them choose how they wanted to be
> entertained?

By letting them attract eachother.

An explorer and an Achiever could work together on building new play
areas, while the socializers would try and get some trading places
and social centers brewing. The killer would enjoy the content
created by the others.

Offcourse, I've always thought that there's more than just the 4
archetypes. In fact, I think there's a 5th arcetype - Creators.

Or builders, painters, musicians, zone designers - Labelled as
Creators since that is what they do, they create stuff out of
nothing and the tools they have.

> Because unless they're playing a single player game everytime they
> logon, I can't see how it can be done without shafting one of the
> classes of players while boosting another at any given time.

Well .. IF you are using classes at all.

Using classes, make them so different that they supplement each
other instead of competing with each other. Keep it simple, then
balance is easy enough.

I once made a rather large and elaborate collaboration of my notes
on how I would make my "perfect" virtual world to the point where I
reckon I have enough material to make a game out of it. But it would
take an awesome amount of funding and lots of development time, so
never got farther than that.

----
Jens L. Nielsen
(aka. Sheela Caur'Lir)