[MUD-Dev] Removing access to entertainment

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Dec 9 16:02:35 CET 2003

From: John Buehler [mailto:johnbue at msn.com]

> Exactly.  So don't put exploration experiences beyond the
> dragon. This is the very point of game design that I'm trying to
> pursue. That if we *ignore* the notion that an entire game is only
> one type of entertainment, then there must be a mix of
> entertainment types in that game.  If that is true, and if players
> tend to focus on one entertainment type at a time, then I assume
> the following:

So are you voting for 2 dimensional dragons then? ;) Even if the
dragon lives in a small cave, explorers will moan that they can't
safely walk around it.

More fundamentally, if you have a game predicated on advancement, I
don't see how you can offer all content to people who opt out of
that advancement.  Its just fundamentally incompatible. Aren't we
just rehashing the thread a few months past where we had similar
arguments for & against ghost modes?

Dan?