[MUD-Dev] Removing access to entertainment

Jeff Crane jeff at monstersinmotion.com
Fri Dec 5 15:41:03 CET 2003

From: John Buehler

> I'm not attempting to eliminate challenges AS entertainment.  I'm
> trying to eliminate barriers TO entertainment.  I offered
> mesmerization as a prime example because it eliminates essentially
> all entertainment from the game experience for a period of time.
> The only entertainment remaining is to watch what is going on in
> front of the character.

So you're suggesting that if a designer wished to implement leveling
as a measure of success or power, it should be trivial to improve
(no barrier to entertainment). i.e. For every "monster" you kill you
gain 1 level until you plateau, thereby removing the barrier to
gaining power. After you slay 100 monsters, you are a master monster
slayer. Yay. What I haven't seen discussed here is what happens when
you give all the players everything they want...which is different
than giving them a GM toolkit (a la NWN). If you remove leveling as
a real obstacle, the next challenge is? If that challenge can be
mastered in an hour, the next challenge available is? etc. Can
someone describe a system that can survive without using time as a
barrier (leveling, gradual achievement, etc)?