[MUD-Dev] RE: The Price of Being Male

Jeff Crane jeff at monstersinmotion.com
Fri Dec 5 14:24:43 CET 2003

From: Sheela Caur'Lir

> Player B had the best response I ever heard :

>   "If I was gay, wouldn't I be looking at the butt of a male
>   character?"

> Oh, and I play both male and female characters on pretty much
> equal footing, with a slight favor on males, since I often play as
> a heavy armored Melee type of character, in which I think male
> avatars seem more fitting.

I choose female characters for 4 reasons:

  Other players tend to treat them better socially, even those who
  know I am male IRL.

  The MMORPG culture tends to encourage playing alternate roles,
  whatever that may be for you.  Players tend to flirt and I enjoy
  the freedom and discovery I feel in learning and observing
  behavior (I am a poor flirt).  I enjoy looking at female butts.  I
  am homophobic and narcissistic and I do not want to look at a male
  character for hours on end unless he looks like me (SWG - I
  designed me) because it's distracting and uncomfortable.

I never lie when asked if I am male IRL. I see no fun in playing the
hide-your-gender past that point. YMMV.