[MUD-Dev] Rubies of Eventide shutting down

Koster Koster
Tue Dec 2 10:09:30 CET 2003

From: Michael Sellers
> Marc E. Howe, President of Cyber Warrior, Inc.:

>>   Well, my dear friends, as expected, things are not looking any
>>   brighter. It is unlikely that I can continue to fund the
>>   company beyond December of this year.

> You know, this makes me obscurely sad.  Another one of the "old
> guard" goes off into the night.  As I recall, RoE started out in a
> very different form (static scene backgrounds with sprites on top
> I think?)

I am not even sure they had sprites. I think they were gorgeous
static renders with a text mud running in a window. The old "picture
per room" thing.

> even before UO came out.  I may be mis-remembering, but I seem to
> recall this game and DragonSpires being on our radar along with
> WorldsChat and their upcoming (and never produced) World's Fair
> back in the early days of getting M59 going.

Yes, I tracked 'em too. But I don't believe they actually launched
until much later, after going with the revamped full 3d thing.

> And this also shows the increasing selection pressure on the
> now-classic "choose a race and class" kind of fantasy MMORPG. IMO,
> we won't see another of these in the fantasy genre break 100K
> players for the next few years -- not until the next generation is
> well under way at least.  And it's by no means clear what that
> next generation looks like.

Hmm, I'd still tip Worlds of Warcraft and EverQuest 2 to achieve
that figure.

-Raph