[MUD-Dev] Re: Mapping real money into MUD money

Kent Peterson urquan at rocketmail.com
Sat Aug 9 12:36:22 CEST 2003

Alex Chacha wrote:

> Recently I read (on Slashdot) that some MMORPG people were
> thinking about mapping real money into MUD money and possibly vice
> versa.  A MUD or MMORPG would act almost like an arcade where you
> buy tokens to play and can redeem them for real life items (or in
> MUD/MMORPG world possibly relics and super rare items) .

Sounds like Project Entropia:

  http://www.waterthread.org/news/102400929976312.html
  http://www.waterthread.org/news/102468374617117.html
  http://www.waterthread.org/news/102514291425084.html

That Mindark did such a bad job doesn't mean something of this sort
can't be done right, of course, but it does illustrate some of the
pitfalls involved.

=====
Kent Peterson                    urquan at rocketmail.com

"... there was always a minority afraid of something,
and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the
future, afraid of the past ..."
               - Ray Bradbury, _The Martian Chronicles_