[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 08:30:59 CEST 2003

On 28th April 2003, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> did as many people take that hoax seriously as people say?

It seemed an obvious hoax to me as soon as I heard of it, but the
way the people reacted to it at LegendMUD gave me the impression
that they had concrete evidence that she existed (eg. someone there
had met her in real life). After all, when players of my own games
have died we've had similar ourpourings of grief (and also, I regret
to say, in at least one case jubilation); if an outsider had
suggested to me that perhaps the player didn't exist, my having met
them several times in real life or spoken to them at length over the
phone, I would have been firm in my rebuttal.

When Tracy Spaight sent me a demo tape of Raph's "Story about a
tree" monologue, I voiced my concerns to him.  It looked a hoax, but
surely there was someone at LegendMUD who knew otherwise?

Well, as we now know, there wasn't.

It doesn't surprise me that people at LegendMUD reacted the way they
did to the death of a friend. What does perhaps cause me to raise an
eyebrow is the fact that no-one twigged Karyn might not be all she
claimed to be at the time.

	Richard