[MUD-Dev] Game On(line) for Microsoft, Sony

Alex Kay yak at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 21 16:33:30 CEST 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:14:19 -0400, Michael Tresca wrote:

> In a bid to increase its lead, Sony recently announced it will tap
> IBM (NYSE: IBM) computer grids -- networks of computer servers
> that can be exploited to crunch vast amounts of data swiftly --
> along with new software from start-up Butterfly.net to enable game
> developers to more cheaply handle the complex links that let
> thousands of players interact in an always-on virtual world.

This may be misleading. Sony said that this was the intention with
the PS3, however IBM recently reported that their "cell" based
architecture (expected to be used in the PS3) won't be seen till
2007, well after the expected PS3 launch date.

> "We believe in the open approach," says Matthew Bromberg, AOL's
> games vice president. "We're going to partner with the broader
> community to help them figure this out and help the industry
> grow."

That's a bit rich coming from AOL...

Personally, I think Microsoft's object of providing a simple and
consistent interface to all online content is the right one for the
console market. Sony's approach is just a big mess at the moment and
looks likely to remain that way. I think it shows that they really
haven't got a handle on the online world yet.