[MUD-Dev] Winnable MMO

Steven J. Owens puffmail at darksleep.com
Sat Apr 12 16:37:33 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:02:19AM -0500, Talies the Wanderer wrote:

> Returning the topic to A Tale in the Desert once more, [...]  For
> those unfamiliar with ATITD, it's an MMORPG with no hack and no
> slash - only cerebral competitions and lots of resource
> management.  Probably the greatest appeal in this game is it's
> ability to be manipulated by the players. [...]

> Yes. Ban.  No refund.  No regrets.  There's been a lot of
> controversy over that particular law (as well as the law that
> forced a player with an "undesirable" name to be changed to
> "Flower".)  Despite that, I have seen about the same customer
> retention and dropoff that was seen in the early days of
> EverQuest.  Not bad for an indie-game.

I wonder how much of that is because you're attracting and building
your own demographic of players.  A friend bent my ear, the other
night, about getting hooked on ATITD and she's *definitely* not the
MMORPG type.  It could be you're growing an entirely new segment in
the online games market.

Steven J. Owens
puff at darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me at http://darksleep.com