[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Apr 9 20:42:05 CEST 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Ryan S. Dancey wrote:

> Living City, a D&D campaign being managed by my company
> OrganizedPlay under license, currently has about 2,500 active
> participants.  Living Greyhawk, a similar campaign operated by
> Wizards of the Coast itself has more than 20,000 particpants.  In
> addition to "bashing", both campaigns support a fully realized
> virtual world consisting of NPCs, politics, economics, religon,
> etc.

Fair enough. I'm not familiar with those at all. I have a lot of D&D
source material (granted, it's all 1st or 2nd edition AD&D) though
and at least judging by that I am wholly unimpressed by its ability
to deal with group vs. group interaction, particularly competitive
group vs. group interaction.

--matt