[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Storytelling in MMOGs article

Clay clayf at bu.edu
Wed Sep 25 10:24:44 CEST 2002

<Marc DM wrote>:

> ...as a gamedesigner I would like to succeed in making games that
> make some people think or have a deep impression on them and are
> at the same time successfull. I think Stanley Kubrick succeeeded
> in this. A clockwork orange and full metal jacket where thought
> provoking as well as spectacular movies.

> ...it is our task to make fun learning experiences.

There's a difference between providing a thought-provoking
experience and trying to teach lessons.  The latter fails where it
is didactic - when it tries to directly translate the understanding
of the "teacher" to the "learner."  Real learning is a richer, more
unwieldy experience, having little to do with conscious intent.

This is what always makes me nervous when people talk about using
the creative arts for "learning experiences" - it usually boils down
to "Listen to something important I'm going to tell you."
Patronizing and stifling.

And I think this goes doubly for MMOGs, where (parallel discussions
have emphasized) the designers need to surrender narrative control.
Can you provide the raw material for emotionally deep play
experiences?  Sure.  Can players come away from them having learned
something?  Sure.  But "make learning experiences"?  I think that's
a dangerous shift of emphasis.

Clay Fenlason
clayf at bu.edu