[MUD-Dev] Player Created Content - The Holy Grail?

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Tue Sep 24 08:10:04 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 10:59 PM

> I'd be really surprised to find out other text MUDs haven't done
> the housing thing (maybe not the subdivision thing) before. In
> fact, come to think of it, I know they have. I had a house I
> created entirely myself using an automated system in Batmud, in
> the early 90s.

We have castles.  Merchants create the castles, add rooms onto it,
and can change the descriptions in the castles.  Bookshelves,
chests, and other containers store equipment for players.  Events
act to slowly destroy castles -- big monsters smash them, thieves
attempt to break in, vermin invade.

Castle decay over time.  Players rent the castles out to each other.
They've even created "bazaars" and a "chat tower" for them to
associate in relative safety.

A big difference between our system and BatMUDs was that, from the
start, we decided upkeep was necessary.  I was around on Bat when
new plots of land had to be developed and castles that were for
people we'd never heard of still existed.  On Retro, castles can be
conquered once they reach a certain condition and, if nobody claims
them, they collapse into dust (a very rare occurrence).  Also,
castles can be built anywhere in the virtual outerworlds, opening up
a huge amount of land for players to settle.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien