[MUD-Dev] UO Advanced Character Service

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sat Sep 21 19:26:00 CEST 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Jessica Mulligan wrote:
> At 12:05 AM 9/19/2002 -0700, "Christopher Allen"
> <ChristopherA at skotos.net> wrote:

>> This is something that we've been considering at Skotos for some
>> time, a "gift of fate" for starting characters, as we are unable
>> to do what Achaea does with our current base of customers, for
>> 'selling' advancement they would not approve of. But a "gift of
>> fate" would be tolerated and it would allow us to increase
>> revenues.

> The problem with is in mixing these characters with the general
> population, which is apparently the case here. It completely
> devalues the player experience and runs the great risk of creating
> an 'insta-griefer' and 'insta-power mule' service.  That may sound
> odd coming from me, who has often decried treadmilling in games,
> but there you are.

I'd agree with this. UO is out-and-out selling advancement, which is
something we, for instance, have always resisted doing, because it
can alienate too many people. Players seem to accept selling -tools-
that make it slightly easier to advance, as opposed to just selling
the advancement itself. It's the difference between selling a golf
championship and selling golf clubs that MAY help you win that
championship.

--matt