[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Storytelling in MMOGs article

Jessica Mulligan jessica at mm3d.com
Thu Sep 19 07:42:00 CEST 2002

At 12:05 AM 9/19/2002 -0700, Raph Koster wrote:

>   http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20020916/klug_01.htm

> Kinda simplistic, I thought. He's dead on about the need to go to
> an episodic structure for Live updates, I think, but skips all the
> details and hard parts. And his discussion of dramatic structure
> is basically meaningless. He almost lost me at "Everquest is a
> good example of how stories are told in massively multiplayer
> games" but redeemed himself on the third page.

He seems to fall into the common trap of many inexperienced MMP
designers; he seems to feel he has to ram a story down the player's
throat by providing a beginning, middle and end.  In other words,
the designer as controller and the player as follower.

That doesn't work very well in these games, certainly not as well as
empowering the players to create their own content.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into the article.