[MUD-Dev] Re: Point of View

justice at softhome.net justice at softhome.net
Wed Sep 18 11:52:46 CEST 2002

Damion Schubert writes:
> From: Shane P. Lee

>> A better way to handle it would be to send in an actor,
>> complaining about losing his treasure to the north of the
>> castle. Perhaps the actor offers to share a portion of it with
>> Tom if he would be nice enough to fetch it for him.

> The problem with using actors and triggered events to dissimenate
> information is that only the person in the castle (the king) is
> going to recieve that information.  Anyone elsewhere in the world
> or logged off at the time will miss this information, or have to
> see a repeat performance.  While fine for 5-10 person quests, this
> solution isn't one that scales well.  And while others may think
> that 5-10 person quests are the best experience in an MMP, I think
> that more global changes and events are necessary to keep the game
> fresh.

I prefer smaller quests, while global events are necessary to keep a
world interesting, they shouldn't be the main level.  People
generally interact in small groups.

Things which involve a groups larger than 5-10 are mostly
spectator... the vast majority of the people are watching what is
going on.

Global events are necessary but shouldn't be the only or even the
major form on interaction.  Local events should be the major form of
interaction... I don't think that "everybody" should hear about
"everything" if they're logged off, then that's their problem.

In the previous example, the king doesn't "have" to be the only one
who hears.  If the "actor" is complaining about lost treasure,
there's no reason he would only talk to the king, he'd talk to
anyone who he thought might help him recover it.

He could wander around in the general vicinity until he manages to
get the help he needs.

Not all quests have to be an epic adventure for the sake of the game
universe in order to be enjoyable.

 -- Kwon J. Ekstrom