[MUD-Dev] The importance of graphics

caduvall at glue.umd.edu caduvall at glue.umd.edu
Sat Sep 14 10:05:49 CEST 2002

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2002Q3/msg00831.php

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:16:01 -0700
Marc Bowden <ryumo at merit.edu> wrote:

> I believe the broader point is that some graphics are necessary to
> attract the larger market of guests who don't have the imagination
> to get by on the text, or who hate to "read too much".

I can only respond to that anecedotally and as a player - a good
friend of mine despises "reading". He just can't seem to get into
books of any sort written down. He got through high school using
Cliff's, or by listening to it on tape.

This same fellow has shown himself to be quite adept in Matt's
Achaea, both in game politics and in combat. In the process, he
enjoys himself immensely; he doesn't smoke the ingame weed Matt
referred to in an earlier post, so doesn't get the ease of graphics
at all out of it.

I suppose that's just a roundable way of saying - "I know a fellow
who would fall into that larger market, and he has enjoyed text
muds." You could probably put up a hundred who follow the statement
to the letter, and there are exceptions to every rule. For whatever
reason, though, this guy doesn't like to read, and enjoys text muds
(at least one or two of them).

--Chuck