[MUD-Dev] Cans of Achievements and Quests

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sat Sep 7 11:09:59 CEST 2002

damon baker posted on Friday, September 06, 2002 7:11 AM

> Anyone know of any other examples of necessary evils (resetting
> quests) being turned into useful additions to the over all game
> world (world being destroyed/created daily by an in game god)?

More RetroMUD examples:

  - Player characters are "Gifted Ones" outside of the normal
  timestream.  They cannot be destroyed permanently without effort
  and they are able to see that creatures and objects are stuck in
  loops.  Thus the name the Retroverse -- it repeats itself over and
  over.

  - Gifted Ones communicate through "tells," which shows up as "so
  and so telepathically contacts you."

  - Gifted Ones can sense other Gifted Ones in the universe with the
  Who command.

  - Immortals (that's us, the coders) seek to rebuild the Retroverse
  and fight entropy.  The Gods, who are trapped within the
  Retroverse, continually seek to escape it.

  - We've provided in-game reasons for why we move areas, such as
  entire cities disappearing after their coders left the game and
  asked for them to be removed.  Instead, it was "The Nameless One
  partially awoke, and during that time a cataclysm struck, causing
  earthquakes across Crypt that consumed some cities whole."

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien