[MUD-Dev] Cans of Achievements and Quests

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Wed Sep 4 22:23:06 CEST 2002

From: "Paul Schwanz" <pschwanz at comcast.net>
> Rayzam wrote:

>> It's not a fair comparison in one specific sense:
>> length. Single-player RPG: 60 or so hours. LAN RPG: probably a
>> bit longer. The faults that are associated with Mud quests are
>> due to the fact that the quests are shorter, can be redone, and
>> there's no forced linearity. However, if the LAN RPG was shorter,
>> say it took 20 hours, would you and your friends play it over and
>> over?  Would you play it for 2 weeks to finish it. Then start it
>> over, and play it again? Well, not as many times as quests are
>> redone in a mud.

> Two separate issues.

>   Replayability: A good RPG can be played again and again.

Why can't a good quest on a mud be played again and again? The
sentiment seems to be that that is a) Bad and b) Boring. Why are
peoples' expectations different in these two cases? Maybe because
there aren't many 'good quests'.  In the world of fast food, you
don't expect a great rib sandwich :)

>   Continuity: A good RPG maintains certain internally consistent
>   concepts to promote immersion.

If the players can come back from death, and the players can come
and go from the game, why can't the monsters and quests?

It's just a thematic push, but on Retromud, Armagg-odhin destroys
the world every day, and it is created anew. Just fiction, but it
explains why quests reset. I don't see an inherent reason why that
isn't as good a concept as the reality overrides via stellae from
Torg, or how Neo and friends can have special powers in The Matrix.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com