[MUD-Dev] Serialization, dealing with changing classes.

Neil Edwards neil at anyisle.org
Wed Sep 4 13:56:37 CEST 2002

Hi there, I am currently writing a MUD from scratch in C# for
learning the language and I enjoy writing MUDs. I was wondering how
people get round the problem of Serializing objects (to a file)
who's class may change and make the serialized version unreadable.

I have tackled this problem previously with my java MUDs by writing
XML based files and if something got removed from the class or added
to it then the XML Parser would just not look for the item or give
it a default if it didn't exist in the file. I was considering doing
this again in C# but thought I would see how everyone else handled
this.

Another thought, if I were to switch to OODBMS (recommended?)  are
there any free implementations such as MySQL that I may use and,
although less important, that are .NET native or compatible.

Thanks for reading.
---
Neil Edwards
http://anyisle.org