[MUD-Dev] PKing minors

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Wed Oct 30 13:11:44 CET 2002

From: Richard A. Bartle

> Virtual worlds are places. I wonder if Korea will get around to
> rating their real-world communities based on how violent they are?

You ain't seen nothing yet.

As you probably know, the UK has just enabled the imprisonment
(secure accommodation, whatever) of people who in the opinion of
psychiatrists are likely to commit violent crime - whether or not
they have yet committed any crime.

So, we're pretty much entering the realm of 'thought crime' or
'minority report', i.e. "Based on your PK behaviour in XYZ-MMOG,
your preference for sniper rifles in Couterstrike, your habitual
browsing of army surplus sites, downloading of pictures of firearms
injuries, etc. we have determined that you represent such a
likelihood of commiting a crime, as evidenced by your clear
psychopathic tendency, that you will be sectioned under the mental
health act - indefinitely".

That simply turns into "Based on the automatic personality analyser
in XYZ-MMOG, your minor (player alias 'Inst4-D3th') has been flagged
as 'likely to be in need of psychiatric evaluation' - an appointment
at your nearest facility has been made. Collection is already in
progress - we are obliged to receive your co-operation - thank you"

That kind of prospect might make players think twice about PKing...