[MUD-Dev] Starting to play (was: Morphable worlds...)

Tess Lowe tess at soulsong.org.uk
Tue Oct 29 23:27:44 CET 2002

Edward Glowacki wrote:

> I just started playing Achaea, and at about the same time I also
> had two of my friends join the game so we could all hang out
> together online.

> Shortly after finishing the newbie intro, all three of us were
> sitting around playing and we really didn't have any clue what to
> do.  Nobody knew the land, nobody knew the combat system, nobody
> really understood much of anything.

My experience of starting new online games is that the depth to
which I become involved is proportional to two things: a) The amount
of quality material available to read about the game world (eg help
files, histories, anecdotes and player-written stories and guides)
prior to logging in for the first time, and b) the effort I put into
immersing myself in this material.

I do not like to log in for the first time as a clueless newbie, and
I do not like to have no idea how to get started. Nor do I like to
be without friends or compatriots in the world for more than my
first hour of play.

It's all about winning the Respect of other players, so any game
that panders to my snobbish desire to get past newbiedom without
having to humiliate myself in front of a wide array of adolescents
is going to get my undivided attention.

I found Nexon's 'Dark Ages' and Achaea very good in this regard and
played both for many months. Nothing's caught my attention in the
same way since, though admittedly I'm much more a casual player than
I was. Your mileage will vary, as ever.

~Tess