[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Tue Oct 29 21:36:42 CET 2002

Edward Glowacki <glowack2 at msu.edu> writes:
> On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 08:13, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>> I don't know. It is easier for newbies to get into the system if
>> everybody else are "newbies".

> I don't agree with this statement, but that could depend on the
> interpretation of "get into the system".

Not really, unless the interface and usability design of the world
is horrible (which is THE norm, by the way).

Newbies have time to spend learning you the system, "experts" tends
to get fed up with it rather fast, or force it down your throat
(which turns the game experience into an immersionbreaking tutorial,
not gameplay). It is more fun, easier to establish relationships,
gift exchange mechanisms work better, and it is generally less
discouraging if you have peerage. Peerage is healthy.

> hardcore gamers and those that had the power in the old system are
> the most likely to re-establish that power.

Yes, but that is not a problem. There is motion and perceived
opportunities. You may matter.

  (Of course, there are other advantages, PK work better with peer
  levels (obviously))

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/