[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Adam ceo at grexengine.com
Tue Oct 29 19:52:28 CET 2002

From: olag at ifi.uio.no (Ola Fosheim Gr?stad)
> "brian hook" <brianhook at pyrogon.com> writes:
>> Ola said:

>>> I don't know. It is easier for newbies to get into the system if
>>> everybody else are "newbies".

>> It is?  I learn more from a "master" than I do from another
>> student.

> Actually, research on learning suggests that you learn more from
> another student that is close to your own level than a "master"
> student. Another student will do it with you and allow you to form
> questions, a master will do it for you. That ruins the
> experience. Being a good teacher is HARD. There are lots of other
> reasons for favoring newbie peerage over twink play though. I
> don't want to get into it all. It should be obvious to anyone with
> lots of MUD experience.

The majority of research I'd seen (which is obviously a
self-selecting set - I don't methodically seek out such research!)
on learning indicated that there were (at least) four independent
major methods of learning, and that each individual had capability
to learn varying from nothing to "excellently"/very rapidly/very
easily via each of the different methods.

E.g. "learning by writing"/"attempting to rephrase what you've
heard/seen" tends to work pretty well for the majority of
students. On the other hand, "learning by watching an expert" is
something that only a minority of students can do well, and only a
tiny minority excel at this.

What Ola is describing sounds like (if the research I've seen is
correct) the perspective of those who are suited to "learning from
peers". Unfortunately I don't have any specific references for this;
I've seen the same results presented several times from different
sources, and heard it in modified form - perhaps newer results on
the same theory? - from people currently doing teacher-training
courses.

AdamM