[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Sat Oct 26 14:29:32 CEST 2002

"Ted L. Chen" <tedlchen at yahoo.com> writes:
> Ola Fosheim Grxstad wrote:

>> Why not design a flexible world that allows designers to
>> rearrange the entire world, gameplay rules included? Then you can
>> massively improve the world and relaunch every six months...

> A lot of people in the world don't like change.  Whether those

I suppose they don't buy "NEW" shoot'em ups either! They all keep on
playing DOOM!

> judging by MOG forums where people gripe about the latest nerf or
> new feature, I'd say we still got a good sizable representation of

  1. MOG forums aren't exactly representative when it comes to
  whining, it's an outlet for hardcore whiners who find whining
  satisfying and they aggregate. (And non-whiners find it
  entertaining to read the hysterical rants, which over time
  influence them etc) Hypothesis: people would whine less if they
  were not exposed to other people's whining. I.e. they go from
  "this was a bit annoying" to "I hate this".

  2. They whine because they get less than those they think they
  should get more than.

  3. I am not talking about nerfs, I am talking about relaunches.

> So, having the system arbitrarily reset and rearrange itself
> without any overall change in content just compounds the problem.

Where did I say arbitrarily!? Isn't totally changing the world and
massively improving the world new content? What is content to you?
Stones and trees?

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/