[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Tue Oct 22 18:43:55 CEST 2002

From: "Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <olag at ifi.uio.no>
> "Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicentertainment.com> writes:

>> "Flow" would be something else.  Flow definitely represents some
>> kind of 'tuned in", zen-like state, but it's not directly related
>> to immersion.

> Both you and Richard (Bartle) say this, but I have so far seen no
> arguments in favour of it except for the idea that it is possible
> to daydream in the virtual world. Something I am not all that
> convinced of (besides, daydreaming seems to be rather flow like in
> nature). I think there is a correlation between flow and
> immersion. Perhaps of differing magnitude, but still a
> correlation.

Since I lack a good explanation for either flow or immersion, all i
can say is that I've been in what seemed to be a "flow" state (in
that it was very similar to a meditative state of being both
hyper-aware of what was happening in the game and completely
unconcerned, with this corresponding with performance at or very
near my absolute peak) and immersed in the game to the point where I
had little to no awareness of it being only a game, and they weren't
the same thing.  I've been in a "flow" state in real-world
activities (such as martial arts or high-speed driving), and I would
consider professional help if I didn't spend most of time "immersed"
in the reality of what is generally thought of as the real world.

They are both difficult to describe mental states that imply some
degree of detachment, but they aren't the same.  Past that, I have
no good explanation.

--Dave