[MUD-Dev] Myst Online article at ferrago.co.uk

Boyle Boyle
Tue Oct 22 15:29:13 CEST 2002

From: Coyote [mailto:Coyote at TimeofDarkness.com]

> I would have to agree with this. You might be able to make good
> content on a daily basis, but the question is, is it going to be
> GOOD content. Quickly shoveling pieces in can throw the balance
> out of things because a player sees how to exploit it, and usually
> does before you have a chance to fix it.

I think it's more than possible.  First, no game I've seen to-date
has focused heavily on ease of update or creating new content daily.
Furthermore, if you take the focus off of stat/level/monetary gain,
you can simply throw content into the world without doing heinous
amounts of balancing, tuning and tweaking. And there would certainly
be a lot less cross-correlation with other areas of the game ("Oh,
you just added a levitation spell... works great, tweaked
perfectyly, except it breaks the 50 jumping puzzles in the game,
etc) You just say 'Here's a new puzzle, play with it' and let the
players play with it.  Those that don't like puzzles, won't like the
game, those that tend to check outside sources for answers, will get
bored fast, but then, it doesn't sound like that's their target
audience.