[MUD-Dev] Re: 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

justice at softhome.net justice at softhome.net
Mon Oct 21 09:46:18 CEST 2002

Richard A. Bartle writes:
> On 19th October, 2002, Raph Koster wrote:

>> For combat-oriented muds, I would have put it as A-> K-> E->
>> S. Certainly in the commercial world most people seem to come in

> The K-> E-> A-> S "main sequence" was something I noticed very
> early from MUD1. People were entering the virtual world with no

I've noticed several variations of this.  I personally started in an
explorer state (having found muds accidentally by mistyping the
address to a chess server), then followed E->A->S->K, an ordering
which I assume is quite rare.

Most female players I know start in a Social state, while most guys
I know start in either an acheiver or killer state.  They either set
out to cause harm to the other players (FPSers and people from a
competetive background) or they come to game the system.

Only a small fraction of mudders would I truely consider explorers.

Overall, I can't say that I've seen any truely dominant progression
through states in mudders... although the vast majority of them tend
to fall into an acheiver or socializer role.

The better killers tend to have an explorer side to them (you need
to explore to learn tricks to fight the other killers).  And the
true explorers (those exploring for the sake of exploring) are quite
rare.  In years of mudding I've only run across a dozen or so people
I'd truely consider explorers, I myself was never a pure explorer
since I always had goals above simple knowledge (although knowledge
for it's own sake was a minor driving force).

 -- Kwon J. Ekstrom