[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Oct 21 08:53:52 CEST 2002

From: "Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <olag at ifi.uio.no>
> "Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicentertainment.com> writes:

>> FWIW, I've played with the same concept as an "Immersion" axis,
>> basicly the distinction between being in the world and treating
>> it as if it were a real space, and being outside of it,
>> manipulating the properties of a game.  Many of the social
>> problems of these games center on the split between these
>> viewpoints.

> Why do you think immersion creates social problems? Immersion is
> something you leave and enter, right? Now, you typically immerse
> yourself into an activity. That activity might be to perceive the
> 3D graphics, or nurturing lust or whatever... I don't neccessarily
> disagree, but it would be interesting to hear about your
> experiences.

*Differing* levels of immersion cause social problems.  The classic
case is the Roleplayer/Powergamer split, the roleplayer is trying to
behave as if the experience is real, where the powergamer is just
manipulating the system to generate the most advantageous numbers.
Although they are playing in the same world, they aren't playing the
same game, and each feels that the other is invalidating their own
playstyle.

>   (Note: I interpret immersion to be similar to Flow (the theory
>   of optimal experience as put forth by Csikzentmihlayi) that has
>   been mentioned on the list some time ago. I.e. situations where
>   you are capable of forgetting about time and place, irrelevant
>   worries etc.)

"Flow" would be something else.  Flow definitely represents some
kind of 'tuned in", zen-like state, but it's not directly related to
immersion.

--Dave