[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Sat Oct 12 01:01:49 CEST 2002

From: Jeremy Noetzelman

> The thought that a movie, once aired, becomes public domain, is
> ludicrous.

This is the weird thing about paradigm shifts.

Once it's shifted, you realise; you grok (Heinlein).

After the paradigm shift you realise that what is ludicrous is that
you could possibly think that what is aired, in digital form, could
possibly be considered anything but public domain.

How strange that people could think that you could tell the world a
thing in a few ones and zeroes and that by telling the world a new
thing that you owned that sequence of ones and zeroes and that
everyone else would henceforth be restricted from using the same or
similar sequence.

Copyright and the people is as synonymous as King Canute and the
sea.

Thus far and no futher...

I am King Canute - I set down the law. I own all the land, and this
includes the shore. The sea, thou shalt not have my shore. I draw a
line in the sand here, and thee shall not pass.

Ah, that thou hath exceeded this first line drawn, I shall grant
you, but not this second line. This second line is doubly protected
by mine law.

If thee trespass beyond the second line, then the third line shall
mark thy doom.

For god's sake people wake up! Copyright is a line in the sand and
the tide don't give a shit.