[Mud-Dev] Article on Griefers

Michael R. Estepp seronis at columbus.rr.com
Thu Oct 3 23:04:08 CEST 2002

From: "Stephen Miller" <stephen at pagemiller.com>

> I am a "reasonably" intelligent person.  I also have a capacity
> for the enjoyment of art, passion, and loving relationships.  But,
> I am also a highly competitive person.  I enjoy inserting myself
> into a harsh world with players who desire my death simply because
> I exist.  It is pure challenge and it makes my accomplishments all
> the more valuable.  I personally feel that the only reason to not
> have griefer players is to develop a sense of community, but even
> griefer players can have an intelligent community.  I've seen it
> happen.

> I mention these things because I feel that the article is a bit
> one-sided and fails to show the other perspective on the issue.

You're not talking about griefers.  Greifers are those who do ANY
action for the sake of causing other PEOPLE (not charecters) to be
annoyed or angered or disrupted in some manner.  PK is not in itself
Griefer attitude.  And a 'killer' gaming personality type is not
griefer.  Doing those things is PERFECTLY acceptable if welcomed by
all parties involved.  Its when its NOT welcome and the actions
continue that it is a Griefer attitude.

Seronis
ICQ 43442042