[MUD-Dev] online voice communication

Dave Trump trump at trumps.net
Wed Nov 27 20:39:06 CET 2002

At 10:11 AM 11/25/2002 +0000, Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> So instead everyone sounds like a digitised voice? Not sure which
> is worse, whiney kid or call centre robot. I've yet to hear any
> text to speech that wasn't immediately recognisable as such, and
> certain to get grating after only a few seconds having to listen
> to it.

Certianly if you were making MechWarrior Online or something similar
this would be a non-issue.

Also if you were willing to invest quite a bit of time and effort
into the project it should be possible to use tiny wav files for
each sound, blending them before playback.  This might still would
still sound a bit awkward and you would lose much of the inflection
of a natural voice, but it may sound much better than going with
pure computer generation and be close enough that, like the noise of
a fan, users may become accustomed to the way it sounds quite
quickly and stop noticing.