[MUD-Dev] online voice communication

Miroslav Silovic miro at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 25 12:04:08 CET 2002

Dave Trump wrote:

> It's fairly easy using 80's technology to change voice into
> phonetic text and back.  Text flies accross the 'net, and you
> would avoid the problem you mentioned with the hulking warrior
> sounding like a little kid.  Simply running the correct filter for
> whatever character on the client side would allow you to change
> the text into whatever voice type you wanted, male, female, human,
> orc, whatever.

I used to work at university, specifically at signal processing
research. A guy there wrote a program that simply extracted a set of
filters from a voice. Then you'd just shift the filters and generate
different driving sound (either a pure sound or a noise, according
to the current phoneme) and you'd get perfectly changed voice. The
results were stunningly good - you couldn't tell that the voice was
masked/pitch-shifted/resynthesized, and the program was pretty
simple (relatively speaking) - no AI or anything like that, just
pure signal processing algorithms. So proper voice-masking is
definitely doable.

Although I don't think you can mask childlish slang, or sentense
structure. You might end up with a pretty silly-sounding Orc voice.

    Miro