[MUD-Dev] Point of Purchase "Cards" for Online Services

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Nov 21 00:45:11 CET 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Christopher Allen wrote:

> I doubt that a company like Skotos could get CompUSA or Best Buy
> to carry a box with 90 days of Skotos services, however, it is an
> interesting thought if this becomes more prevalent as new games
> become available. We already have requests for gift certificates
> and such, and if for Chrismas '03 these types of cards became more
> common and not too expensive we might consider offering them as
> well.

We're probably not a lot bigger than Skotos, and definitely couldn't
get those cards in Best Buy, but I can speak to the power of the
gift-giving impulse. We get players buying small in-game items (with
real money) for each other, buying credits for each other (again,
with real money) and that sort of thing around X-mas every
year. Granted, they can only give these things to people who are
already playing instead of giving them to their buddies who they
hope will start playing, but I highly recommend giving your players
opportunities to give gifts to each other that they purchase from
you.

--matt