[MUD-Dev] online voice communication

Dave Trump trump at trumps.net
Wed Nov 20 15:58:41 CET 2002

At 11:13 PM 11/19/2002 +0000, Matt Mihaly  wrote:

> I just thought I'd post a couple comments on the Xbox Live's voice
> communication, which has been much-ballyhooed by Microsoft. Been
> using it since Friday when it was released at retail.

To bring your somewhat offtopic post back on topic, I've always
thought the way to bring voice to muds and other online games is
through phonetic text.

It's fairly easy using 80's technology to change voice into phonetic
text and back.  Text flies accross the 'net, and you would avoid the
problem you mentioned with the hulking warrior sounding like a
little kid.  Simply running the correct filter for whatever
character on the client side would allow you to change the text into
whatever voice type you wanted, male, female, human, orc, whatever.

As the user never needs to read or even see the text you are sending
you avoid the common problems with voice software where it cant tell
the difference between "I" and "eye." It is not an issue because
both would be translated the same on the speech synthesis end
anyway.

If you really got inspired you could also hook language translation
software into such a system or use it in place of costly voice
acting for NPC, PC and Creature conversations.