[MUD-Dev] Would a complete gpl'ed and copylefted online gaming world be financialy succes?

Fri Nov 1 13:38:51 CET 2002

"Marc De Mesel" <marcdemesel at hotmail.com> writes:

> I'm very interested in your arguments why not protecting your
> brand would be a bad idea? Are their any examples of people having
> consciously chosen to make a film, a book, a picture, a drawing, a
> piece of music, in short a personal piece of art, copylefted? And
> what were the results?

The Bible? Plato's writings etc. ;) You have the concept of Mail Art
which might be related to your argument. And of course, all those
works which are no longer protected by copyright ("Alice's
adventures in wonderland" etc).

> I think that if George Lucas would have made his star wars brand
> gpl'ed than, yes maybe he wouldn't have earned that much money but
> you defenetel would have higher quality movies and games and
> whatever people come up with.

*shrug* You are still allowed to make parodies, I think? You just
can't make something that can be confused with his works. There are
some hardcore parodies that play on Donald Duck for instance.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/