[MUD-Dev] On the creation of constructive/social behaviours in online games!

Marc Demesel marcdemesel at hotmail.com
Thu May 30 22:58:02 CEST 2002

I just read "Master's Thesis: The Architechtures of Trust:
Supporting Cooperation in the Computer-Supported Community by Jonas
Heide Smith, University of Copenhagen"

One part I found particularly interesting was the 3 points that have
to be present in your design in order to lay out the framework where
constructive/social behaviour can emerge:

  -Repeated interaction: Only when the shadow of the future
  influences an encounter does the logic of the Priseners Dilemma
  (which says that it is always wiser to chose for the most safe
  option and betray your partner so that you can go free or have
  mior punishment) change in favour of cooperation. Consequently,the
  players must be aware (or think) that the probability of future
  interaction is sufficiently large and important so that if someone
  is convincingly and publicly labelled as a defector his future
  interactions will suffer.

  -Interaction history: Information on previous interaction must be
  available. (Gosip serves this purpose well)

  -Persistent, distinct identities: In order for the above to be
  possible players must be able to recognize one another. For humans
  and animals, this typically means devoting a section of the brain
  to facial recognition.

The thesis can be found here:

  http://www.gamasutra.com/education/theses/20020410/smith_01.htm

MarcDM