[MUD-Dev] People were talking about resets..

Ben Chambers bjchamb at bellsouth.net
Mon May 20 23:02:44 CEST 2002

From: "Jason Murdick" <osiris at arkansas.net>

> There is one more thing that people could consider when trying to
> overcome the PCs desire to wipe all mobs off the face of the
> mud. What if players not only had the capability or dying through
> combat, but what if it was much more permanent than it currently
> is?  What if a PC had to "buy" resurrections from a local temple?
> If they didn't they bye-bye character. If they did, provided the
> monks or priests got to the corpse before it decayed then they
> could come back.

> This feature has both positives and negatives associated with it.

> The positives are that it would make players more hesitant to just
> run into an area and start killing everything without first
> knowing or at least having an idea of what was there. It would
> also help with forcing players to group more. If you combined this
> with the ideas for gaining experience based on the damage you
> inflict and not necessarily solely on the kill then you help solve
> this problem.

> The negatives are that people who die might get frustrated and not
> come back. Or that the corpse might decay before the monks get to
> it.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw the idea that instead of
Permadeath and instead of resurrections you have an underworld where
players go.  Depending on how often they've died, this underworld is
harder to get out of.  On the MUD that i play most often, the only
way to be resurrected is by other players.  If they don't "choose"
to resurrect you, they don't.  Of course this only works if you have
a group of friendly clerics willing to use their spell points, but
it is still a solution.