[MUD-Dev] Hyperbolies R Us

shren shren at io.com
Thu May 16 06:17:08 CEST 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2002, shren wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 May 2002, Damion Schubert wrote:

>>> Seems to me like you're changing the hypothetical quite a bit
>>> from the average joe selling his character on eBay.  (Also seems
>>> to me that it might be more cost effective just to buy new
>>> copies of the game, as if the game you're getting accounts on
>>> are probably at cheap pricepoints and may even give the client
>>> away for free =).

>> It is a worst case scenario.

> The worst case scenario is that some user gets really pissed off
> about character transfer, tracks me down, comes to my house, ties
> me up, tortures me for a few weeks, and then kills me. Well,
> that's not even close to the worst case scenario, but you get the
> point.

> Am I worried about the worst case scenario? Not particularly.

The worst case scenario is that some kind of odd magnetic resonance
caused by your server causes the sun to explode, killing everyone
instantly, but there also turns out to be an afterlife where you
will be teased about destroying the world for all of eternity.

But that's not what we mean by worst case scenario.  Thinking about
the most extreme cases is a part of writing software for users.
What will the most obsessive users do?  What will the most
technically savvy users do?  Naive users?  Malicious users?  If
you're not thinking about how your design can be broken by those
using it, then you're not designing, you're daydreaming.

--

 x                http://www.shren.net
 xxx