[MUD-Dev] Question about copyovers.

Anderson Anderson
Wed May 15 11:28:29 CEST 2002

From: Tand'a-ur [mailto:tandaur at ix.netcom.com]

> You write the descriptor numbers and other info like player names
> into a file and then you run the mud again with some option that
> tells the mud to look for that file and load up the players from
> it.  Then the old instance of the mud is ended.

> This is roughly how they do it in diku derivs, you can dl the code
> from it off the internet and see how they do it. Maybe that will
> give you a better idea on how to do it than my rough description
> of it.

Yeah, I've seen the normal C copyover code that everyone has.  Maybe
I'm just a bit lost on the descriptor idea.  What descriptor numbers
are there I could get when people connect to my sockets, and how
would those numbers in the files be useful to me?  Is there a way to
connect to those sockets that are connected to a different process
if I run the mud again?

Dave