[MUD-Dev] People were talking about resets..

shren shren at io.com
Mon May 13 06:34:06 CEST 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Anderson, David wrote:

> Problems I've seen:

>   1. People will empty out the areas really fast and then we'll
>   have an empty mud.

>     I'm hoping that long standing players will realize that they
>     should always leave a few creatures in the area.. and the
>     lower level areas will probably have mob generating things
>     (such as rabbit holes, etc).

Always leave a few creatures in the area...  Hmmm.  Killing all of
the orcs and then having them reappear does kill roleplaying, but
you can at least catagorize the new spawn as reinforcements if
you're really trying to stay in character.  However, picture this:

  Frodo : "Leave a few orcs so there will be more orcs to hunt
  later."

  Aragorn : "The orcs are the evil creation of Sauron!  No orcs
  later is a *good* thing!"

  Gimli : "Kill the traitor hobbit!"

  Frodo : *dies*

Which forces you farther out of character, spawning or having to
spare "evil" "monsters" so you have something to mindlessly kill
tomorrow?

> How does this all sound?

Like you're fighting an uphill battle - unless you've made a vast
mud, spawn is the only thing that keeps the players from clearing it
in a half day.  Trying to have some kind of natural spawning occur
is nice from a thematic point of view but avoiding extinction is
non-trivial.

--

 x                http://www.shren.net
 xxx